PR– Gala – review (Article links are embedded in publication titles)
On November 1, 2022 the Rema Hort Mann Foundation fêted its monumental achievements with a 500-seat 25th Anniversary gala in Manhattan. A direct-from-artist auction realized over $1.6 million, featuring works by Marlene Dumas, Nicole Eisenman, Marilyn Minter, Dana Schutz, Sarah Sze, Kehinde Wiley, and many more looking to return the support offered to them by the Horts and the RHMF over the years. — Click here to view press kit landing page and press release; click here to view gala post-event recap.
- Vogue || Inside the Art and Artist-Filled Rema Hort Mann Foundation Gala; “A dizzying array of talent gathered for an evening of reflection, conversation, and music. … The foundation was created in memory of Rema Hort Mann, the daughter of collectors [Susan and Michael Hort] and a friend to many young artists. In 1995, RHMF launched with the goal of fostering young talent and providing direct support to cancer patients. The [Emerging Artist Grant] grant program has become legendary for nurturing the likes of Kehinde Wiley, Mickalene Thomas, Sarah Sze, and Dana Schutz.” (3 November 2022)
- ARTnews || At Tribeca Gala, Art Insiders Raise $2.7 M. for Medical Care and Emerging Artists; “On Tuesday night, collectors and artists gathered in Tribeca for a gala staged by New York’s Rema Hort Mann Foundation — a philanthropic organization dedicated to funding support for families of cancer patients that has forged deep roots in the city’s cultural sector as a longtime backer of emerging artists.” (3 November 2022; also subject-line newsletter inclusion)
- Town & Country || A Picture Perfect Evening; “On November 1, nearly 500 guests flocked to Tribeca 360 in New York City to celebrate the 25th anniversary gala of the Rema Hort Mann Foundation. … Guests including Nick Cave, Marilyn Minter, Kelly Rowland, and Renée Elise Goldsberry were on hand for the evening, [which] honored Mickalene Thomas, Marianne Boesky and Dr. Elisa Port, and Billy Mann. Attendees were treated to musical performances by pianist BLKBOK and tenor Lawrence Brownlee as well as an art auction including works by Nicole Eisenmann, Dana Schutz, Oscar Murillo, and Marlene Dumas.” (3 November 2022)
- Guest of a Guest || The Art World’s Most Stylish Stepped Out For The Rema Hort Mann Foundation’s Glam Gala; “On Tuesday evening, the art world’s biggest names gathered in Tribeca for a sold out 500 seat gala to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Rema Hort Mann Foundation. RHMF was founded in the 1990s to honor the legacy of the art collectors Susan and Michael Hort’s arts-engaged daughter Rema, who died from stomach cancer at age 30. RHMF’s dual flagship programs are the annual Emerging Artist Grant, which welcomes artists into a lifelong support network starting with an unrestricted $10,000 grant, and the rolling-issuance Quality of Life Cancer Grant, which funds cancer patients’ abilities to spend time with loved ones during treatment—a medically important component of care that is too-often overlooked in cancer philanthropy. The gala honored 2007 Emerging Artist Grant alum Mickalene Thomas; art dealer and breast cancer survivor Marianne Boesky–a dual honoree with the acclaimed oncologist Dr. Elisa Port, who led Boesky’s treatment; and Rema’s widower Billy Mann, a co-founder of the RHMF, who with his second wife and children has lovingly upheld Rema’s legacy.” (4 November 2022)
- Avenue Magazine || This Week in Events: It’s All About the After Party; “Also on Tuesday, the Rema Hort Mann Foundation held its 25th anniversary gala and benefit auction at Tribeca 360.” (Ninth item, 4 November 2022)
- Yahoo News || A Picture Perfect Evening; “The Rema Hort Mann Foundation celebrated its 25th anniversary with art, music, and some serious fundraising.” (3 November 2022)
- New York Magazine / The Cut || Sydney Sweeney, Emily Ratajkowski, and More of the Bestest Party Pics This Week; “Kelly Rowland wore a black, LaQuan Smith cut-out gown at an art world bash on behalf of the Rema Hort Mann Foundation, an art and cancer nonprofit, which raised nearly $2 million dollars throughout the evening.” (First item, 11 November 2022; Tweeted here)
The Rema Hort Mann Foundation announces its 25th-annual class of its acclaimed Emerging Artist Grant program, an insider-watched barometer of “artists who go on to become some of the most important names in the cultural conversation” (said the Whitney Museum of American Art’s director of the collection, Jane Panetta). The eight 2022 Emerging Artist Grant recipients join a community of over 100 alumni – many now far from the “Emerging Artist” qualifier – including Sarah Sze (1997), Kehinde Wiley and Dana Schutz (2002), Mickalene Thomas (2007), Njideka Akunyili Crosby (2012), and Jennifer Packer (2013). — Click here to view announcement press kit landing page and press release
- Artnet || A Star Is Born? See the Artworks Sarah Sze, Kehinde Wiley, Dana Schutz, and Other Top Artists Made Before They Were Famous; “This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Rema Hort Mann Foundation’s Emerging Artist Grant, an early incubator [that] has seen more than a few of its grantees become art stars. … [Here], we look back at a few of the original portfolio submissions by some of art’s biggest names—when they were still emerging artists.” (25 October 2022; also subject-line newsletter inclusion)
- New York Magazine || You Can Sit on (Some) of the Art at the Horts’ House; “Michael and Susan Hort’s three-story, 10,000-plus-square-foot home in Tribeca is alive with art … drawing from their 5,000-piece collection of works by emerging artists they’ve built over the past 37 years. … In 1995, their daughter, Rema, died of cancer at 30. “We had to do something positive,” Michael says. [The Rema Hort Mann Foundation] has the twofold mission of giving grants to emerging artists and providing financial support to cancer patients undergoing treatment so they can have family with them. … The foundation will hold its 25th-anniversary benefit on November 1.” (print issue: “October 24 – November 6, 2022;” online 24 October 2022; click here for Tweet)
- ARTnews || Rema Hort Mann Foundation Names 2022 Winners of Closely Watched Emerging Artist Grants; “The grants program … has historically supported artists who go on to receive widespread recognition. This year’s winners include Shanzhai Lyric, whose installations figured prominently in MoMA PS1’s Greater New York show last year, and Asif Mian, who had a solo show at the Queens Museum last year.” (12 October 2022; click here to view newsletter inclusion)
- Artnet || Art Industry News; “Rema Hort Mann Foundation Names Artist Grants – The 25th round of the $10,000 Emerging Artist Grants includes Blake Daniels, Jeremy Lawson, Shanzhai Lyric, Annabeth Marks, Asif Mian, Day Sinclair, Rachelle Mozman Solano, and Anne Wu.” (First item of “Movers and Shakers,” 13 October 2022)
- USA Art News || See the Early Art of Sarah Sze, Kehinde Wiley, Dana Schutz, and Other Stars Before They Were Famous; “On November 1, the foundation will commemorate these multifaceted milestones with a 500-seat anniversary gala in Manhattan. The sold-out affair, which includes a direct-from-artist auction of 120 artworks, intends to raise more than $2 million, while honoring the 2007 grant recipient Mickalene Thomas, as well as Rema’s widower, Billy Mann, and breast cancer survivor Marianne Boesky, alongside oncologist Elisa Port.” (25 October 2022)
The Baer Faxt || The Baer Faxt Plus; A tribute to Peter Hort and a fundraising appeal for RHMF. “In honor of Peter, there are a few ways to support. RHMF is hosting its 25th Anniversary gala on November 1, aiming to raise $2 million with an auction featuring works by Marlene Dumas, Nicole Eisenman, Marilyn Minter, Dana Schutz, Sarah Sze, and Kehinde Wiley.