I have a captivation with the theater as a container to transform a material. This illusion of suspension animates and visions, and it is this principle of fantasy in performance, this radical potential of performativities, that draw me to produce work.
My current interests are in engaging wildness as a driver and formal structure; can the work negotiate with time. Liveness is profound to me as it proposes methods of interpretation, translatability, and viewership.
Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY- Masters of Fine Arts in Dance, May.
Trinity College, Hartford, CT- Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude Theatre & Dance, May.
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, London, UK Certificate of Dance Theatre, One Year Programme, July.
Fiorello H. LaGuardia for the Performing Arts, New York, NY Music Endorsed Advanced Diploma, June, Vocal Performance.
AWARDS & HONORS
Hau Hebbel am Ufer, Berlin Artist in Residence – Minor Matter.
Impulstanz Vienna International Dance Festival (8:Tension) Artist in Residence – Minor Matter.
FD13 Residency, Goethe-Institut Minneapolis – Minor Matter
New York Live Arts, Fresh Tracks Performance and Residency Artist.
Brooklyn Arts Exchange Fellow/Dancing While Black.
Artist-in-Residence: Trinity College.
Urban Bush Women Summer Leadership Institute, Scholarship Recipient.
Bessie Schönberg Scholarship Fund.
Diebold Family Award: Distinction in Dance Performance & Choreography.
Gaga People Scholarship Recipient, Batsheva Dance Company, Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posse Foundation Full-Tuition Leadership Scholarship.
PROGRAMMING & PRODUCTION
October 2015- present
Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance Technical Director
September 2015- present
Jaamil Olawale Kosoko | anonymous bodies Production & Stage Manager.
June 2015- December 2015
Urban Bush Women, Walking with ‘Trane Production & Rehearsal Assistant.
FreeSpace Dance, New Jersey Arts Incubator Lighting Designer.
Urban Bush Women, Summer Leadership Institute, Tulane University,Production & Sound Operator.
May 2015- June 2015
Will Rawls, Settlement House, a choreography, Abrons Arts Center Production Manager.
Teaching Artist – Composition, Eastside Community High School, New York, NY
Choreographer, The Possibility Project, New York, NY
Teaching Artist – Composition, Urban Assembly School for Women, New York, NY
Contemporary Practice & Improvisation, Sarah Lawrence College, NY.
Teaching Artist – Interdisciplinary Composition, Students’ Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh, Jammu & Kashmir, India.
Teaching Artist – Composition, Brooklyn Performing Arts Intensive/The Green School, NY.
-LONG RUN!, Tere O’ Connor Dance (2017 premiere)
-Virago, Man Dem, Cynthia Oliver (2017 premiere)
-Minor Matter, in collaboration w/ Ligia Lewis, HAU Berlin (2016 premiere)
-Occassions, Isabel Lewis, Dia::Chelsea Dia::Beacon
-Mi amigo, El id, Arthur Aviles (revival solo), Arts AIDS America Open House, Bronx Musuem
-#negrophobia, Jaamil Olawale Kosoko, Tanz im August.
-being here…/this time, Marjani Forte- Tour: Kelly Strayhorn Theater (PA), MoCADA Museum, Queensborough College.
– echo::system – The Desert, Grisha Coleman / Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
– In the Garden of mi amigo El id, revival by Arthur Aviles, Not the Post Apocalypse curated D-L Alvarez and Jorge Ignacio Cortinas.
– Minor Matter, Ligia Lewis / FD13 Residency, Goethe-Institut.
– #negrophobia, Jaamil Olawale Kosoko, The Painted Bride
– Tongues Untied, Ni’Ja Whitson (BAX Artist-in-Residence) work-in-process
– Dances for Intimate Places and Friendly People, Patricia Hoffbauer / Gibney Dance.
– Paradise Interrupted, Gwen Welliver / Spoleto Festival @ Metropolitan Museum of Art
– Ailey Legacy Project (Sinner Man, Mean ‘ol Frisco, Ready), Sylvia Waters
– The Memories of an Us, Dianne McIntryre
– electric future Near at hand. Jodi Melnick
– Boiling Points: When Place is Pause, Scapegoat Garden
– Trinity College, CT
– Fuller Craft Museum, MA
– A Dance For Five, Lindsey Dietz Marchant Projects 2012- Coming Together, Dance Generators Company.
– Engage, Maciej Kuzminski, Company a /Laban Conservatoire (London, UK)
-Yet-to-be-titled, Danspace Project Commission, Platform: Lost & Found
-Riverside, music video release for Soho Rep. w/ Jomama Jones
-Oceano, and one last kiss, Movement Research Spring Festival, JACK Performance Space.
-Everybody’s doing everything, and everything is the same, Dancewave WIP/Feedback Showing.
-The proto series: wild thing, BAX/Dancing While Black festival
-The proto series: wild thing, FAB x The Current Sessions at the wild project
-Give you bodies, New York Live Arts Fresh Tracks
the proto serieS
– BAX Fellow/Dancing While Black works-in-progress showing
– Danspace Project: Food for Thought, pleasure principles (2016) curated by Ali Rosas-Sala
– BAAD! Blaktinx Performance Festival
– AIR Trinity College (2015)
-Evil nigger – gay guerilla, afroFUTUREqu##r Festival, curated by Thomas DeFrantz and Niv Acosta, JACK Performance Space, NY.
-Us, etc., Young Dancemakers Co. Alumni showing, The Fieldston School, Riverdale, NY.
-Loisaida Center – the discipline of things, Lower East Side, NY (self-produced showing)
– Bessie Schönberg Dance Theatre, Bronxville, NY
– Martha Hill Performing Arts Center, Bennington College, VT
-Of ties, Globe Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY (self-produced showing).
-Messages with the Moon
– Fall Guest Artist Concert, Trinity College, CT
– Rivertown Artists Workshop: An Evening of Solos, Tarrytown, NY
– Bessie Schönberg Dance Theatre, Bronxville, NY
– BAAD! Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance, Out Like That! Festival, Bronx, NY
…a good deal Bessie Schönberg Dance Theatre, Bronxville, NY
Seconds Down, HONEST BODIES festival at Project Reach, New York, NY.
Elms, Norte Maar: Dance at Socrates, Socrates Sculpture Park, NY