Alejandro Pineiro Bello
Memories are shaped by events that, in the long run, go unnoticed. Most of these recollections become remnants. Most fade. But two or three stay with you. This is what “Instant Memory” is about, about those recollections that have stayed.
“Instant Memory” is creating images on the spot, portraying ideas as they come about, in an attempt to depict the complexity of memory in plain form, like the Japanese Haiku that simplifies a poetic form.
My work is totally influenced by the images, ideas and concepts that come from the physical reality in constant combination with the power of abstract thought (imagination). I am keen on everything that man has created, from his simplest ideas to his baroque cultural concepts. Although one’s perception is ultimately shaped by one’s own environment and the cultural traditions of the place you are born in, art has no boundaries; and so this affords the artist the possibility to dialogue universally.
The “Instant memory” artworks are an attempt at portraying the universe through the filters of imagination, the relationship between art itself and society, the interaction between painting and myself. I have always been fascinated by trying to portray that precise moment when ideas take shape, that unexpected moment when something grabs your imagination and dazzles you and lead you to a state of trance; then like magic, something is turned into something else, and something else into something else, and finally an art pieces springs forth, screaming at you from the canvas, uplifting.
Although I have done work in other fields of visual arts, my greatest endeavour towards creativity has been through painting, which is where I think this dialogue lies: in the simplest way of creating an image be abstract or figurative. A child can draw before speaking, so this may indeed be one of the first forms of human communication. And I think this is probably what drives me to paint, as through painting you experience the greatest freedom, ad infinitum.
Possibly my biggest inspiration for this project is the human condition, although the final images can be infinite and thus interpreted in different ways, although they are open to the possibility of finding in them that constant dialogue with the universe, which is also a strong inspiration for me; as I too find in the stories of others images to paint from.
The style and methods used in these paintings are simple and pictorially sincere. I try to generate new eye-catching images through traditional painting methods in the simplest form. Each painting is the result of a long meditative process though. Some pieces generate more abstract images; others just recognizable figurations, where often a bit of background text helps build a bit more the pictorial image in your mind.
This body of works are about that instant when I am drawn by a particular image or concept, whether it is one that springs forth from my mind or from reality itself. It is, too, about
togetherness and solitude, about joy and sorrow… about life and death…
Alejandro Piñeiro Bello (La Habana, Cuba, 1990)
Alejandro Piñeiro Bello is a Cuban visual artist, he has developed his work in the fields of Painting, Sculpture, Installation, Photography, Video Art and Virtual Reality. He attended The National Academy of Fine Arts “San Alejandro” in la Habana, Cuba (2006-2010), from where he holds a Painting BFA, he was a Creative Painting professor in such academy from 2010 to 2011. For seven years he was a founding member of the Havana based collective known as STAINLESS (2010-2017). He has participated in major public projects during the Havana Biennials in the years 2012 and 2015. Received Scholarships from The Shelley and Donald Rubin Foundation, New York (2014) and The Rockefeller Brothers Fund in collaboration with Pioneer Works, New York (2017). In 2017 Piñeiro continued a solo career and he lives and works in Los Angeles, USA. His work is in private collections around the world and has been publicly collected by The Shelley and Donald Rubin Foundation Collection NY, USA, The Gilbert Brownstone Foundation Collection, Paris, France, The Chrysler Museum Collection, Virginia, USA and The Virginia Museum Collection, Virginia, USA.
-November 2018 “Alejandro Piñeiro Instant Memory”. There There Gallery, Los Angeles. USA
-February 2018. “Instant Memory”. Legato Art Studios. Los Angeles, USA
-December 2015. “Tin, the Chinese dog” Boffo_NY. Instagram. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-February 2015. “A Chaotic Mind”. The Studios of Key West. Key West. USA. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-September 2014 “One of a kind”. The 8 Floor Gallery, Rubin Foundation. NYC.USA. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-October 2011 “Stainless”. Centro Hispanoamericano de Cultura de la Habana. Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-April 2010 “ZOOM”. The National Academy of Fine Arts “San Alejandro”, Habana, Cuba.
-July 2017 “Expo de Verano”. Roma Building. La Habana, Cuba ( Project curated by Alejandro Pineiro Bello)
-December 2016 “8 Lobbies”. Roma Building. La Habana, Cuba ( Project curated by Alejandro Pineiro Bello)
-March 2016. “La madre de todas las artes”. Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wilfredo Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-March 2016. Pulse Art Fair. NYC, USA. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
-February 2016. “Close, but no cigar”. Meat & Marble. Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration
- November 2015. “Asamblea”. G.T.G. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- Sptember 2015. “Nuevos Colores”. ROBERT MILLER GALLERY. NYC. USA. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- May 2015. 12th Habana Bienal. Group show “Zona Franca”. San Carlos de la Cabaña Fortress. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- May 2015. 12th Habana Bienal. Group show “Behind the Wall”. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group.
- March 2014. “Una Raza”. National Museum of Fine Arts. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- January 2014. “Art Attack”. Galería Galiano. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- November 2013. “Post it”. Galería Collage Habana. La Habana. Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- January 2013. “Sex in the City”, Galeria La Acacia, La Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- December 2012. “Gulliver 1”, Freize Museum, Berlin, Germany. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
– November 2012. IAAF SULF, South Korea. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- November 2012. PINTA, The Latinamerican Art Fair, New York, USA. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- November 2012. “Eva advierte sobre las manzanas”. Cine 23 y 12, La Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
- August 2012. “Daiquiri sin azúcar” en Galería Habana, Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
– May 2012 11th Habana Biennal. “Dry Cleaning”. La Lavandería Gallery, Habana, Cuba. (in collaboration with STAINLESS art group)
– Catalogue “STAINLESS” 2011
– “Contra la Toxina” by Píter Ortega 2012
– Catalogue IAAF SULF, South Korea 2012
– Catalogue “Post it” by Collage Habana Gallery, Havana, Cuba 2013
– “El peso de una isla en el amor de un Pueblo” by Píter Ortega 2015
– Catalogue “Stainless” 2015
– Catalogue “ZONA FRANCA” 12th Edition Havana Biennale, Havana, Cuba 2015
– “The Millenials Generation: Cuban Art 2001-2016″ by Píter Ortega 2016